5.18.2010

Music Shuffle Monday 05.17.10

http://www.veryicon.com/icon/png/Media/iPod,%20Therefore%20I%20Am/iPod%20Mini%20Blue.png(Okay, so it's 20 minutes after midnight... it's been a busy day, sorry! Better late than never, right?)

1. "Break So Easily" - Mighty Mighty Bosstones
I remember going to my first music festival in Chicago when I was in Junior High - the Bosstones were playing and so during the drive the radio station was playing some of their songs, including the current big hit "The Impression That I Get." I hadn't yet gotten into ska, as this was 7th grade that didn't happen til 8th and 9th grade, but when I did, the Bosstone's "Let's Face It" was one that I often listened to!

2. "Goodbye Tonight" by the Lostprophets
This is a band from my early years in college. I remember raiding the "Weekender Desk" and it's music drawer weekly with one of my fellow page designers, borrowing CDs and ripping the tracks at home. This one was I borrowed and forgot to bring back right away and in the process it got scratched by my CD player. I did buy a replacement though... I just kinda forgot to put it back in the drawer - oops! This was one of the better songs on their 2nd album - it had some good songs and then some so-so songs. A bit of a different sound though than the first album, at least going off the single that was released from the first album (Shinobi vs the Dragon Ninja).

3. "Through the Glass" by Stonesour
I remember all the controversy when Stonesour came out. Singer Cory Taylor was also the lead singer of masked-band Slipknot. Stonesour being his side project and a completely different sound, he "took off" his mask while doing Stonesour stuff. Slipknot fans were apparently upset though, as the band vowed they'd always perform with the masks or something like that. I don't know... I like songs from both bands so I don't really care what he's wearing, so long as the music doesn't suck. For being a mellow song though, it's not bad. It's more lite rock, reminiscent of stuff I used to hear on top 40 radio in the mid-late 90s (think Duncan Sheik's "Barely Breathing").

4. "If I Die Tomorrow" by Motley Crue
Ah, Crue's big "comeback" song during my college years. I recently watched their Behind the Music Remastered special on VH1, considering some of the drama and health issues the members have had over the last 20-30s, it's pretty cool they're still around, back together and touring again and making music. Gotta love it when the older bands can still do their thing and keep up with the newer bands!

5. "Watch the Sky for Me" by Powerman5000
Honestly, as much as I love PM5K, I usually skip over this track - it seems more like a transition track, as it starts out with the record's Mr. Radio Transmission Voice talking about how "this is the end... or is it?" (for those not familiar with the album - Tonight the Stars Revolt - it's a hard rockin' musical journey through space, as it kinda tells a story narrated by Mr. Radio Transmission Voice). Clearly, Spider's singing/talking and there's a piano and some other mellow instruments but iono... I usually skip over this track as it sounds nothing like the rest of the album other than just being a hokey closing track to the album/journey. The little techno part for the last minute or so of the track is kinda cool though...

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's your thoughts?