11.06.2010

Jobs, interviews, candles and more!

So since my last few posts, I've decided to hold off on possibly selling my car to help save on money and instead started applying everywhere that was still hiring for seasonal. I applied at a few places online and then went out to the mall to apply at The Limited where I have a friend who's worked there on and off for years and told me to apply and then my mom suggested I apply at The Children's Place too since I'm a bit hooked on that store right now despite my restrain to not buy everything in the little boy and newborn sections, lol...

http://www.frugalcouponliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/The-childrens-place-mall-store.jpg
My friend said she would be in The Limited next on Sunday so she'd put in a word for me and when I went to turn in my app at The Children's Place they asked if I could come in this morning for a group interview as they had a spot open. Of course I said sure - I have nothing to do on Saturdays anyway, so why not?

I just got back from there a little bit ago - it seemed to go well. I didn't have to mention I'm preggo but I'm pretty sure the manager could tell - she mentioned they have hired pregnant women in the past with no problems and while they have had to pick up the slack on some, others have turned out to be some of their best workers. Out of the 5 of us, 4 of us said we could start immediately while one girl is still in college so her availability is limited until after the semester is over. They said they won't be able to let us know until probably Wednesday at the earliest as the 3rd manager is gone til Tuesday and they need to go over everything, confer, and decide how many they need to hire. Hopefully it goes well - any little bit will help, even if it is just seasonal!

I also went out shopping yesturday with my mom for a winter jacket that I can actually fasten (both my casual coat and my warmer coat can't close around my baby bump right now!) as well as a pair of boots that aren't heeled as the only pair I have and wear have a bit of a heel on em and I don't want to risk slipping on some ice and falling while preggo (as it happened a few times last year - oops!). We found a really cute coat at Burlington Coat Factory and a pair of boots that'll fit but since it's not snowing yet I don't need to wear them right away and can wait and return them if we find something better.

http://media.merchantcircle.com/30011003/PartyLite%20Logo_medium.jpegA friend of mine became a Partylite candle consultant last night - I went to her debut and my mom and mother-in-law came too. I haven't bought any Partylite since the last party she co-hosted with her cousin's wife nearly 2 years ago. I pre-shopped online to get an idea of what they have and picked out a few of the "guest offer" items to get as gifts which hubby approved, so I bought those last night and a pack of tealights to split with them so we got my aunt and mother-in-law's gifts for Christmas done and out of the way. I already know what I'm getting my mom too, just a matter of finding it in town or ordering it on Amazon.com. They had a special going on too where you can get 3 dozen (3 boxes) of tealights for $25 so I picked out 2 more fragrances (I wanted to get at least 1 box so I can put different ones in our kitchen table centerpiece) and then if you spend more than $40 you get an item half off so I got this really neat Angel aroma melt warmer for $12.50 and then a pack of melts to go with it - I figured it'd make a nice piece for Christmas and then after the holidays a nice piece for the bathroom. They also have this new S-Pod travel fragrance thing that you can buy refills for - they say it's great for the car or a bag - I figured it would be perfect for Jay's diaper bag so I got one of those and a pack of refills (since it doesn't come with any). They say it lasts at least 45 days, but the candle lady said she used one for 8 months before she had to put a refill in.

http://www.partylite.com/images/products/candles/fh10-aroma-angel-aroma-big.jpg
Angel Aroma Melts warmer
http://www.partylite.com/images/products/gifts/fh10-forhim-tamboti-safari-spod-big.jpg
S-Pod fragrance sticks - I got the teal one, which will be great for a diaper bag!

I think I made out pretty well - the only part of our "joint" money I spent was on the 2 gifts, a pack of the tealights to split (since what good is a candle holder if it doesn't come with a candle?), and part of the tax/shipping. The rest of the items and tax/shipping I used my own small stash of money I had been saving (my "allowance" if you will, as it's the percentage of my paychecks I get to keep to myself and spend as I need/want on food, gas for my car and whatever else I want to save for or spend it on).

I'll probably host a party for my friend in the Spring as right now I just can't commit to a date/time for a party like that - we got the car situation which when it's ready we have to figure out a day to go pick it up, if I get hired seasonal somewhere my hours will be on a week-by-week basis, we have our baby classes the next 2 weeks plus another doctor's appointment in just over a week and then I've got appointments every 2 weeks... oh and we're meeting with the bank again this week so *hopefully* that goes well and we'll have to squeeze in house hunting and all that too... and with the holidays coming up, yeah... I just don't want to commit to hosting a party or anything like that right now. My friend mentioned hosting one around the time Jay is born - either before or after - as we could have it at her house and it'd be sort of a gift/gesture from her and I can get some candle freebies. So maybe I'll do that =)

http://blog.globalyp.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Southern-Charm-Candles-Titusville.jpg
I think burning candles is sort of my way of "nesting" as until the last few months I never really consciously burned candles or worried about having nice fragrances in our home. But lately, I've noticed I'll sit in bed with a book and burn a candle on our nightstand, or I'll light the candles in our kitchen centerpiece while we're eating dinner or I'll light a candle while I'm cleaning or doing the dishes... and I also finally refilled our Airwick Mini that's in the main hallway with a vanilla scent (it helps cover up any smells from the bathroom that might go in the hallway, as well as the litter box that's in the closet near the front door and just makes it smell nice in here when you first walk in).

It's been a pretty busy 24hours! I'm thinking of doing some cleaning today too and maybe a nap later, since I'm wide awake right now.

Also, hubby has a cold or something - he thinks it's from being down in the warmer Texas weather and then coming back here and working nights in the colder UPS airhub. He came home after his Thursday night shift not feeling good and napped for a bit last night while I was at the candle party. He said he felt a little better after sleeping but he didn't sound good. We got him taking plenty of vitamin C though so hopefully he gets better soon! I usually get sick once in the fall/winter but I'm trying to avoid that this year cuz of Jay - if I get sick, it can't be good for him down there and I have to go to the doctor for antibotics if I run a temp of 101 (that's why they advise against preggo women in hot tubs or taking a steamy hot shower - your body temp gets too high and that's not good for baby). I Febreez'd my side of the bed last night too - we got the spray that has Lysol in it too so it eliminates odor AND kills germs/bacteria, so I figured that might help a little bit. I don't want to kick him out on the couch as he wouldn't get a good night's sleep which he needs, however I can't sleep out there either for the same reason! This is why a house with a guest bedroom or something would be nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's your thoughts?