12.18.2010

Formula feeding vs Breast feeding

Just thought I'd make my statement on this topic.

We are planning on breast feeding and eventually pumping and bottle-feeding for when momma won't be around to feed him (like if mommy's out and daddy or grandma is watching him) or we're out in public.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_bHHNIm0flPo/TBfnEvU4o0I/AAAAAAAAAmQ/fB8HAgjTbGY/s1600/bottlevsbreast.jpg
Now I have nothing wrong or against those that don't breastfeed - I was formula fed, as was my sister and my cousin. To be honest, I'm not all that familiar with non-formula feeding and originally when I always thought of having kids the idea of breast feeding never crossed my mind as it wasn't something we did in my family.

Hubby on the other hand... him and all his siblings were breastfed so to him, it was kind of expected.

I was hesitant at first to the idea but then I know my friend who has 2 kids now breastfed both of them (sometimes while I was over visiting as she used a nursing cover) and it didn't seem all that weird like I originally thought.

To be honest, we are tight on money. And out of curiosity, hubby and I looked at the price of formula while in Walmart one night and wow! You can easily spend $15 a week or more on formula alone, pending how much your kid eats!

Thinking about it, I decided I'd be willing to give it a try and I'm thinking we'd do it for the first 6 months until he can start eating baby food and drinking other liquids like juice and water as it'll save us money on feeding him.

And that's the sole reason we're doing it.

They say there's all kinds of benefits to breast feeding over formula feeding, and I'm sure there are as far as nutrients and I hear there's less doctors visits in the first year and such too, although I hate when people say it makes your baby smarter or whatever - as I said, I was formula fed and I turned out just fine - I was on the honor roll all throughout high school! Honestly, we're just trying it because of the cost.

I think breastfeeding in public is a bit weird and I don't plan on doing that as I'm not really comfortable with the idea - like I said, I'm planning on pumping some so that when we are out in public and he gets hungry we can just give him a bottle of breastmilk and save the actual nursing for at home or when we're with family or close friends and use the nursing cover then.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's your thoughts?