2.13.2010

Figure Skating Dreams

http://www.yourniagara.ca/cmsimages/content/19305864.jpgWhen I was in 3rd grade, my best friend started taking figure skating lessons at our local ice rink. After seeing her in that year's ice show, I decided I wanted to do it too - after all, we were best friends and best friends do everything together, right?

My parents enrolled me in beginners classes and I did enjoy it for a few years. While my friend was a few classes ahead of me, we still had fun going to the free skating on the weekends and being in the ice shows together, even though we were never in the same number.

The other day, I was at the dollar store on a quest for a cheap Rolodex. While looking around at pretty much everything in the store, I came across a familiar book in a random bin.

This book brought back a lot of memories of those figure skating days!

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/c6/c9/6f91c060ada07e5b216ba110.L.jpgDuring our years of figure skating in 3rd-6th grades, my best friend found about this new book series called Silver Blades, which follows the adventures young talented figure skaters and friends Nikki, Danielle, Tori, Jill and Haley as they have dreams of one day competing in the Olympics. When we first started reading the books, there were only maybe a handful of them and I remember we had to wait for the next ones in the series to come out to find out what happens next.

Eventually, the wait between books got too long, and we got older and stopped reading them. But it appears that the series kept going on throughout our time in high school, with 23 books in the main series, plus 2 additional sets to the series - 2 "Special Edition" books, and 3 "Gold Medal Dreams" books. Several of the books have even been recognized by the USFSA.

Did I buy the book? No, but only because it was one that I'm positive is stored in a box somewhere at my parents house - probably the same box my remaining Babysitter's Club books are in (I was stupid and put them out for a garage sale like 10 years ago and I recall someone buying half of them >< ).

It was fun taking a trip down memory lane though in the middle of the store!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's your thoughts?