9.02.2011

Flashback Friday: My favorite music videos in the mid 80s-early 90s

In attempt to remove "unnecessary" photos from my Google+ account, a lot of my custom made icons, such as the Flashback Friday logo got deleted as well and sadly I haven't had much time to try and find the originals!

Jessi recently posted about the Beatles and it got me thinking and watching my favorite George Harrison video from his solo days. This then led to me finding a bunch of old music videos VH1 would play in the mid-late 80s and early 90s that I LOVED as a kid and would spend hours with the TV turned to VH1 in the background as I played with my toys hoping I would get to see my favorite music videos that day!

"I Got My Mind Set On You" by George Harrison


This one came out in 1987 and as a 3 year old, I LOVED it and with all the dancing furniture and animal heads/skins I'm sure it's pretty easy to say why. Even now, 24 years later, it still made me crack up!

"You Can Call Me Al" by Paul Simon


Chevy Chase and his antics in the video are pretty much why I loved it. I saw Christmas Vacation when I was like 5 and for the longest time I associated Chevy Chase as Clark Griswold.

"Cold Hearted Snake" by Paula Abdul


Watching this now, this video was quite racy for being the late-80s and I have no idea why my 5-year old self was allowed to watch it as it wreaks sexuality. I loved the song back though and gotta admit, it's still pretty catchy!

"Opposites Attract" by Paula Abdul


What kid didn't love this video - it had a talking, singing, dancing cartoon cat in it! 'Nuff said.

"I'm Your Baby Tonight" by Whitney Houston


Took me forever to find this one, as all I could remember from the video was a woman (who I coulda sworn was Tina Turner until I thought it could possibly be Whitney) in a leather jacket magically getting on a motorcycle near the end of it! Not sure why I liked this one but something about the motorcycle stood out to me!

"Live for Loving You" by Gloria Estefan


My mom listened to a lot of Gloria in the 80s and for some reason I LOVED this video and the animation in it (totally 80s, btw!). I remember getting furious at my 2nd cousin over this video when I was little too - we were visiting my grandparents and I learned their TV in the basement had cable and so, like usual, I was watching VH1, waiting for my favorite videos to come on. This one *finally* came on and I was rockin' out to it when my older teenage 2nd cousin came in and tried to take over the TV to watch a New Kids on the Block video she had bought. I was screaming and in tears when she took over the TV while my jam was on, despite her telling me that what she was putting on was better and I would like it (I didn't - as all it was was them trying to get on a tour bus while hundreds of girls were screaming and attacking the bus, which I thought was dumb, lol...)

"Just Leave Me Alone" by Michael Jackson


I know it was the stop-motion and claymation/animation in this video that made me love it, on top of the fact I decided when I was 4 I wanted to marry MJ after seeing the Captain EO movie at Disney World's Epcot Center.

"Thriller" by Michael Jackson


I was fascinated by this song and video so much that my parents confiscated my cassette of the album, I listened it to so much, lol...

"Black or White" by Michael Jackson


I remember when this one was premiered world-wide in the early 90s on Fox (I want to say it was after the Simpsons). MJ, Macaulay Culkin (whom everyone my age knew as Kevin from Home Alone) and people morphing into each other... LOVED IT!

(*note* I think mid-80s to early 90s Michael was the best!)

"Escapade" by Janet Jackson


During this period I used to confuse her with Paula Abdul soooo much, as they had a similar hairstyle and were both great performers!

"Always" by Bon Jovi


Another "racy" (for its time) video that my friend and I probably shouldn't dave watched when we were kids but we did, and we LOVED this song and video because of the story it told. It's fun watching it now, as I recognize Keri Russell, Carla Gugino (from Son-in-Law with Pauly Shore and Entourage), the blonde bully neighbor from The Brady Bunch Movie and the artist guy was Joe in NBC's short-lived series Persons Unknown.

"Wild Night" by John Mellencamp & Me'Shell Ndegeocello


A video that follows a night in the life of a female New York taxi driver who's rocking out to John Mellencamp and the chick with the last night we could never seem to pronounce as kids, lol...

"Jack and Diane" by John Cougar Mellencamp


So it came out before I was born but this song was big throughout the 80s and still played on the radio in the 90s. You know you loved clapping along with this one!

"Forever Young" by Rod Stewart


My favorite thing about this video was the whole father/son aspect - I thought it was soooo cute (and still do, despite the kid looking a bit scared of riding on his dad's lap of a the back of a truck the 1st half of the video! lol...)

"Don't Come Around Here No More" by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers


The creepy, twist Alice in Wonderland aspect of the video was what always caught my attention, lol...

"Last Dance With Mary Jane" by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers


Tom Petty made some pretty creepy videos in the 80s and 90s!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's your thoughts?