8.18.2010

I'm part of a statistic

While referencing Wiki to help myself update my movie review blog, Movie Bits, I came across this cited piece of information regarding the new movie The Expendables:

"Though the majority of moviegoers were men, Lionsgate was surprised to find that 40% were women, giving "Expendables" somewhat broader appeal than expected."
Source: The LA Times


I get the impression that Lionsgate under estimated the sex appeal that some of these action stars have and that they forgot that, like men, many women will almost always see something that their favorite piece of eye candy is in!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/76/Expendablesposter.jpg/220px-Expendablesposter.jpgI was one of the 40% of female moviegoers that saw The Expendables opening weekend (opening day to be exact!).

Hubby and I went and saw the 11:40am Friday show at our local AMC, as on the weekends movies before noon (and all day Monday-Thursday) are only $5 and we both wanted to go see this one - hubby for the action and the cast of action stars together, and well, I have a huge celeb crush on Jason Statham.

Being a huge Jason Statham fan (he's hot, British and makes action look good while wearing suits and sports coats!), I had been looking forward to seeing this film all summer as he hadn't been in anything since Spring 2009's Crank sequel. I was a little worried, with a huge cast, he wouldn't get much screentime, but to my delight there's a reason he's got 2nd billing under Stallone - he's one of the main characters and not just a smaller supporting role. I only wish he took his shirt off!

Hubby doesn't mind me gushing too much over Statham and these guys, as he's the same way about Angelina Jolie, Megan Fox, Milla Jovovich and Scarlett Johansson.

For those under a rock, The Expendables is the new summer action flick written, directed and starring Stallone and has an impressive who's-who cast of other action stars, such as Jason Statham, Jet Li, Terry Crews, Dolph Lundgren, Mickey Rourke, Randy Couture, and Steve Austin with amusing cameos by Bruce Willis and Arnold Schwarzenegger thrown in. It is also a throwback to the 80s and 90s action movies pre-CGI, as all the explosions, fights and gunfire are real - what you see on screen was achieved through real, physical means and not computers. Also, as many of these stars are known for doing in their films, the majority of the cast did all their own stunts.

You can read my review of the movie here.

3 comments:

  1. It's funny that you mention this, because seriously the article I was reading just before reading this blog post was about Scott Pilgrim vs. the World and how only 36% of ticket buyers for that movie were women. I saw it this past weekend, so I guess that makes me a statistic, too :)

    Jason Statham is very attractive. I loved him in The Italian Job. Yes, the accent! So nice. It's good that you and your hubby are OK about each other gushing over hot celebs. I've tried a little to get my boyfriend to say which stars he thinks are hot, but he's pretty quiet about it. Makes me feel bad when I say some actor is hot; he acts all offended though I think he's just kidding, but I'd still feel better if he did it too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Scott Pilgrim was really fun, it's funny and sweet and has quirky video game references. If you like stories of young love or video game fight scenes, you'll like this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Statham was on Lopez Tonight the other night... just hearing him talk casually (not acting) I was about to melt! lol...

    I think we're seeing Scott Pilgrim tomorrow - I read the first 2 books in the graphic novel series years ago (the other 4 weren't written or out yet) and thought they were pretty amusing - while I'm not a big Michael Cera fan (he seems to play the same awkward guy in every movie and it gets old), it does like a pretty good movie adaption of a comic book, like a comic book actually brought to life!

    Hubby's borderline about seeing it now, although when he first saw the trailer he was all "whoa! that looks too ridiculous not go see!" I'm hoping he doesn't back out of seeing it tomorrow, lol...

    I think the reason with why that one is doing so poorly in theaters is that in all the promo interviews with the cast, no one can really describe it or compare it to anything, so unless you've read the graphic novels no one really seems to know much about it other than he has to fight this girls 7 evil ex's before he can date her - I've seen a lot of people comment on Facebook about how they thought it was just a goofy teen movie and didn't even consider seeing it until their reliable adult film critic buddies stated it was good and people shouldn't miss it while it's in theaters.

    ReplyDelete

What's your thoughts?