4.13.2010

My New Addiction

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/coffee/McCafeFrappes.jpgGrowing up, I remember sipping some of my mom's coffee from time to time, but I never really thought it was anything special.

As I got older, I grew to not being able to stand even the smell of coffee, let alone the taste. The nearby mall had a Gloria Jean's Coffee Bean shop right outside the food court in the center of the mall - the smell was soooo strong I would nearly gag just walking past it!

Hubby on the other hand, LOVES coffee, so of course we had to put a coffee maker on the our wedding registry and his parents gave us so Gevalia brew for it. It's a vanilla flavor so it doesn't smell *that* bad, but it still smells like coffee. I can tolerate the smell, but had no desire to taste it, as when I have to go to a Starbucks I usually get a caramel apple spiced cider or just a regular hot chocolate.

Until recently.

Last weekend, I went to the big Woodfield shopping mall in Schaumburg (one of the bigger suburbs of Chicago) with my mom, little cousin and teenage sis, as sis needed a new formal dress for junior prom. On our way home, we stopped at McDonalds as we were all a bit thirsty. Well my sis isn't drinking much pop these days so she ordered one of those McCafe Frappes that come in Mocha and Caramel (she got the Mocha). Curious, as I heard those don't really have much coffee in them, I asked if I could have a sip.

And I regret it - I'm hooked on the stupid thing now.

Since that first sip on Friday, I've gone out and had 3 now and it's only Tuesday afternoon!

Seriously, it's like a coffee/chocolate mixed shake on crack.

For someone that's never really liked coffee though, these things aren't bad and they do seem to fill you up. It contains a ton of crushed up ice, some cream, a special McDonald's blended powder, caramel or mocha (chocolate) flavoring and white cream on top. Yum! Like I said though, it does tend to fill you up - grab one for a snack and you'll be set til your next meal.

At 450 calories for a small and only costing $2.50 (after tax), while not the healthiest snack, it's not a bad deal for a good tasting treat if you feel like being "bad."

3 comments:

  1. I am addicted to frappes too! I love strawberry frappe at my favorite coffee shop The Bean Hopper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want something similar with less calories, get a light Frappuccino from Starbucks. They make it with skim, less sugar and no whipped cream. It kind of tastes like ass, but it gets you the fix.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like the frappes! In fact, the only cold coffee drink I like is the iced coffee from Aroma - which is a coffee chain in ISRAEL! Although I think they opened one up in NY, but I have yet to try it.

    ReplyDelete

What's your thoughts?