4.26.2010

Music Shuffle Monday (4.26.10)

1. "Liberate" by Disturbedhttp://www.veryicon.com/icon/png/Media/iPod,%20Therefore%20I%20Am/iPod%20Mini%20Blue.png
One of my favorite songs by Disturbed (and on their 2nd album, Believe), despite the f-bombs in it - the message is pretty good though. I've seen Disturbed live twice too - once in their hometown of Chicago and the other up in Milwaukee - both times were pretty good! They've really come a long way from their early albums, which were very dark and often mentioned struggling with inner demons (as one of my brother in law's put it, lead singer David Draiman probably knows more about demons and suicide than most preachers, as it's clear he's had encounters of his own based off their songs - just listen to their first album, "The Sickness"), to now where they're more about unity and coming together to make a difference.

2. "Angry White Boy Polka" by Weird Al
I have always loved Weird Al's polka medley's ever since the first one I heard on "Bad Hair Day." In this 5 minute medley of his 11th album, 2003's Grammy-winning Poodle Hat, he puts together the songs "Last Resort" by Papa Roach, "Chop Suey!" by System of a Down, "Get Free" by The Vines, "Hate to Say I Told You So" by The Hives, "Fell in Love with a Girl" by The White Stripes, "Last Nite" by The Strokes, "Down with the Sickness" by Disturbed, "Renegades of Funk" by Rage Against the Machine, "My Way" by Limp Bizkit, "Outside" by Staind, "Bawitdaba" by Kid Rock, "Youth of the Nation" by P.O.D., and "The Real Slim Shady" by Eminem. Hubby has a ton of Weird Al albums on our computer, and this is one of them.

3. "Nobody Knows" by Tony Rich Project
Who forgot this one from the 90s? The other week I went a bit of a kick and downloaded a bunch of songs I remembered from back then, this being one of them. This one was all over the radio back then. I'm not much for R&B, but this one had more of a pop edge to it, so I think that's why I didn't mind it so much.

4. "Otsegolation" by Static-X
This one is from Static-X's first album and Static-X is one of my favorite bands. Their "evil disco," as they call it, is very different from most rock/metal stuff you hear on the radio, as they're a bit more industrial. They also put on some of the best live shows I've seen! I've seen em 3 times, 2 different tours, all at the same venue and nope, I never get bored of em! Their shows are soooo energetic, I actually get sad when they come to town or Chicago and I can't afford to go, that's how good a show they put on is! My only complaint is that singer Wayne Static seems to be a bit too into his new wife - that's great that he is, but I don't think it's fair to put out an album (Cult of Static) saying it's for the fans, yet 2 of the songs are clearly named for your wife ("Tera-fied" and "Sting-wrey") with her doing vocals on one of them.

5. "Face to Face" by Sevendust
This off their 4th album "Seasons," it's reported that Sevendust closes every set with this song since it's release. Sevendust is a band I'm starting to think that I'll never get to see a full set of. I've tried multiple times to see them, 3 of which I recall pretty well. The first, they played my hometown's annual Labor Day weekend festival with the rest of their tour (which included Staind, Kittie, and Powerman5000). My friend and I tickets to see another band on the other side of the river, but once that was over, we ran over to the stage where Sevendust was playing and caught their last song. The 2nd time, my boyfriend at the time in college and myself got tickets to see the tour they did with Staind. I had class that day, so we didn't get to leave til after 5pm, and with traffic we didn't get there til about 7:45pm. The show started at 7, but there was an opening band so we figured we were fine. We learned the opening band canceled and Sevendust went on first and low and behold, we walked in right as Sevendust was doing their last song. We endured through Staind (which sucked) since we drove all the way there and bought our tickets but we didn't really care much for them - we had gone to see Sevendust. The third time, they were headlining at my favorite venue in Chicago (House of Blues) and hubby and I were talking about going, however something happened last minute (days before the show) and we didn't have the money to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's your thoughts?