1.31.2010

Oh how the Grammy's have changed!

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/grammy2.jpgThe 52nd Annual Grammy Awards air tonight, so I thought I'd take a look and see who is actually nominated this year.

To my surprise, it's actually stuff people and kids/teens are into: Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Black Eyed Peas, Taylor Swift, Kings of Leon... stuff I know that kids these days listen to as well.

I remember watching the 39th Annual Grammy Awards back in 1997 and how disappointed I was over the nominees - and yes, I did listen to Top 40 radio at the time - however most of the artists were all stuff you'd hear on the "Lite Rock" stations, aka stuff our parents were into.

Eric Caplton and Babyface won big with the song "Change the World" from that John Travolta movie Phenomenon, Sheryl Crow won under the "Rock" category several times, and Tracy Chapman won Best Rock Song for "Gimme One Reason" (or "Gimme One Rasin" as we used to sing it!). The only actual "rock bands" under the Rock category were The Smashing Pumpkins and Rage Against The Machine (who apparently are metal??). Beck is apparently both Rock and Alternative, winning under both categories, and Celine Dion and Leann Rimes also won awards as well.

Nowadays, it seems like the Grammy people mostly have a grasp on who fits in what categories - the "metal" nominees are no doubt, metal, as are most of the "Rock" nominees (with the exception of Prince that is).

Again, I am a bit surprised though, as growing up, no one in Jr. High and High School really seemed to listen to any of the artists nominated, whereas today, kids are loving Beyonce, The Black Eyed Peas, Katy Perry, P!nk, Taylor Swift, etc.

I wish The Grammy's had artists/bands I listened to nominated when I was a teen!

1 comment:

  1. I'm definitely watching tonight also, and I agree with you!
    Happy Blogging!!
    ~ Lil Landy

    ReplyDelete

What's your thoughts?